Golem out of action for the immediate future!! :(

General comments etc

Golem out of action for the immediate future!! :(

Postby Golem on Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:01 pm

My PC has finally decided I've had enough warning, and has stopped booting up! :shock:

It is either the motherboard or the CPU and I am inclined to believe it is the former as do not trust Asus hardware. Ragnor has kindly offered to test the CPU on one of his rigs so I can be sure. I'm going to try and get away without rebuilding the OS after a replacement <insert screwed component here> so that I'm back in action ASAP, but we'll see how this goes!

This means I may not be around for our first Wireplay 7v7 league match this Sunday.

Booo!

And I'd JUST bought Mass Effect (like, played the intro) and had JUST started getting into Borderlands as well.

I'm now off to Bioware's forums to complain that their game killed my machine. :P
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Golem

Re: Golem out of action for the immediate future!! :(

Postby kanonfodda on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:08 pm

/me makes smug comments about overclocking being pointless and ultimately reducing the life of the components

what do you need testing? If it's a socket 775 and you are free this evening, feel free to pop round with it and we can test it straight away if you fancy :)
kanonfodda
Civillian Government

Postby Golem on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:42 pm

I expected this from you! (to both aspects of your message actually... ;))

I'll have you know both motherboard and CPU manufacturer expect overclocking to take place and many articles exist to back up that, ultimately, the effect on a component's lifespan are barely worth worrying about as most of us replace it all every 2-4 years anyway!

I still maintain - Asus just suck. ;)

The problem tonight is that I'm just not available all evening till late (when I'll be wanting to sleep for work). I'm going to try and rip the sytem to its various pieces after work and then later at night if I need to... if you're free Wednesday, except for the TF2 match of course, perhaps Wednesday night may work better, if you are available? 8)
Golem

Postby kanonfodda on Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:01 pm

Wednesday would be fine for me :)
kanonfodda
Civillian Government

Postby Golem on Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:07 pm

That is very appreciated! I think I have a rather old system hijacked from Sarah's place from which I can rip an internal speaker as my new case doesn't have one. So many new cases don't... Antec think we don't need one any more? So I'll try this tonight as well and find out if it's at least making any beeps.

Might see you Wednesday then m8. If you have a spare PC maybe I'll join you guys for the TF2 match as well... ;)
Golem

Postby kanonfodda on Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:28 pm

I'll ask Jen if you can use hers :)
kanonfodda
Civillian Government

Postby codemunkeh on Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:35 pm

BTW AFAIK (YMMV) OC doesn't reduce lifetime - neither does (reasonably) increased amounts of heat - it's the cranking of the voltage that kills components fastest.
codemunkeh

Postby kanonfodda on Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:56 pm

I know that you can OC kit with reasonable safety, but I have been ribbing Golem about his overclocking for at least the past 5 years :D

Golem: Jen says you can use her PC to play tomorrow night and do you want dinner? We are having lasagne :)
kanonfodda
Civillian Government

Postby Golem on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:56 am

kanonfodda wrote:I have been ribbing Golem about his overclocking for at least the past 5 years :D

You sure? Feels like longer. ;)

Golem: Jen says you can use her PC to play tomorrow night and do you want dinner? We are having lasagne :)

That's very kind of her! Thanks for the food offer but Sarah and I usually dine together on a Wednesday and I'd feel mean making happy munching sounds while she... isn't (being a veggie). She wants to accompany me to yours though, however if she can or not is up to you guys!

I wanted to get an internal speaker attached last night and power up to at least find out if it's trying to tell me something but Tuesday nights are always quite unavailable for me and didn't get in till 00:30. It's still in one piece so I'll have to dismantle it and find something to transport the processor in.

If I crack on as soon as I get in (and after I've fed The Fats) I should be able to get to yours by 19:30. I will try for sooner so we can sort out Steam and TF2 on Jen's machine. TF2 isn't in the steamapps/common directory is it, so will either a) need to be copied into my own user directory or b) redownloaded completely... I reckon it should be entirely possible to copy TF2 over, restart steam, and get it to accept it as valid.
Golem

Postby kanonfodda on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:30 pm

Just bring the whole box, we can test the other components as well then (if you want to).
kanonfodda
Civillian Government

Postby Golem on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:49 pm

Well I'll bring the lot then I won't have any regrets later (as in... 'Blast it, I left that bit back at home!')
Golem

Postby kanonfodda on Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:44 pm

hmm, no speaker to hand, sorry matey :(
kanonfodda
Civillian Government

Postby kanonfodda on Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:08 pm

Golem wrote:If I crack on as soon as I get in (and after I've fed The Fats) I should be able to get to yours by 19:30. I will try for sooner so we can sort out Steam and TF2 on Jen's machine. TF2 isn't in the steamapps/common directory is it, so will either a) need to be copied into my own user directory or b) redownloaded completely... I reckon it should be entirely possible to copy TF2 over, restart steam, and get it to accept it as valid.

Jen already ahs TF2, so I wouldn't think it would take long to setup once you login to your account on her PC :)
kanonfodda
Civillian Government

Postby Golem on Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:34 pm

kanonfodda wrote:hmm, no speaker to hand, sorry matey :(

There's an old case sitting in my bedroom at home. Although I remember its headers are on some block of plastic ready for the PC's proprietary motherboard configuration, I may be able to do something with it. We'll see!
Golem

Postby kanonfodda on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:51 am

Jen says if you want to come over Sunday and use her computer, you are more than welcome :)
kanonfodda
Civillian Government

Next

Return to Any old iron