Golem out of action for the immediate future!! :(

General comments etc

Re: Golem out of action for the immediate future!! :(

Postby Golem on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:24 pm

We'll see how this goes... after confirming it is indeed the motherboard that's gone kaboom, I have bene searching for a very similar setup but they're hardly available any more! Turns out there's one on ebay I could nab, so may have it done by then... ;)
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Golem

Postby kanonfodda on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:26 pm

good luck :D
kanonfodda
Civillian Government

Postby Golem on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:35 pm

Following a message from TB, I figured it's about time I gave you all another update! So here it is, ladies!

The question concerned why the bloomin eck has it taken me so freakin long. The problem I have is a) lack of vast sums of flowing cash, or more accurately b) unwillingness to spend vast sums of cash unnecessarily, and if that means I have to wait, so be it!! :?

Because the Asus board died. I confirmed this last night, to ease my mind that maybe I hadn't fully tested the thing, using a small kit which consists of five objects to place on a motherboard's front panel headers. From Maplins!! That is, HDD and PWR LEDs, Internal Speaker, Power button and reset button. It's neat! It's handy! Everyone should have one! It allowed me to connect the PSU 24 pin thing, and that's it, just power up with the lil button and listen for noises.

But it made none.

Anyway, I knew the board was dead, that's why I bought an XFX board to replace it. Problem is, the first PCI-E slot died. As you know, I've already posted that much. This has been returned to the retailer for their RMA processing and I better bleedin hear from them this week! I'm not waiting till after freakin XMAS to have my PC back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trust me, I am as irritated with this as anyone. I only JUST bought L4d2, borderlands and Mass Effect! I've never had so many games to play and NO FREAKIN PC TO PLAY EM ON. I haven't even played proper L4D2 yet! How sad is that!

AND!! AND!! I can't take part in the DEMO vs SOLDIER WAR!!

SOLDIER ALL THE WAY!!!

Hope that sums it all up for you and sets your mind at ease. ;)
Golem

Postby TheBrook on Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:30 pm

Nice copy and paste there I see ;)
TheBrook
L4D Leader

Postby Golem on Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:33 am

Sharing is caring is Golem! ;)
Golem

Postby Golem on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:11 pm

Latest news from the pit of Golem's den.

The retailers whom received the RMA'd item (the replacement board I bought to replace the first one that failed) have agreed it is FAULTY. However, as it is 30 days after its purchase date, they cannot issue an immediate refund nor replacement and instead have sent it back to the manufacturer to repair or replace. As a result, the ebayer has offered to refund me.

So that I have SOMETHING during my time off (it's not just about the games either!), this option I have taken, getting back the cash I splashed and opting to face the pain of buying another Asus product, the only 780i available to buy, the Striker II Formula, complete with Asus' trademark 'Nowhere Near As Good as You'd Expect' technology, judging by comments from users. Still, I don't go crazy with my overclocks so it may be fine.

No, it will be fine. It will. PMA, Golem.

Ebuyer has an excellent delivery service so I should have this tomorrow.
Golem

Postby kanonfodda on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:51 pm

so basically, what you are saying is, if you had listened to Kanonfodda and bought either an Asus product online, you would not have had all this downtime?

;)
kanonfodda
Civillian Government

Postby Golem on Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:04 pm

No, I would never say that... ;)
Golem

Postby ragnor on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:42 pm

Hope it all works out for you :D

Going to fit my quad core extreme on thursday now as not had enough time today :(
7.62 Full Metal Jacket

ragnor

Postby Golem on Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:16 am

Hurrah! I THINK I am done... nearly!

After getting it all rebuilt (twice... first time, the heatsink ended up part on the CPU, part on some very nearby capacitors and so heat transfer wasn't so great...) and putting it through memtest and prime95 I spent some time boosting performance. The memory is back up to it's EPP and I've managed to get the CPU running a tad faster than before on the previous board (3.2Ghz rather than 3.0Ghz), although the motherboard's FSB is slightly slower (355.5 Mhz rather than 375). This is by no means extreme.

Anyway, this is prime stable after more than 24 hours, 3d Mark 06 benchmarks and several hours of Mass Effect. I say I'm NEARLY done because I'm now in the process of gradually reducing and testing the CPU voltage setting cos I reckon it is probably receiving more than necessary. :)

Hopefully this won't decide to die like the last one any time soon.
Golem

Previous

Return to Any old iron