Expansion?

17th-19th April 2009
TheShortOne
Cria
Cria

Expansion?

Post by TheShortOne »

well that was a surprise! log on I as I do every 6 months or so to sign a bunch of us up to find only one place left with nearly 2 months left to go!

Extreamly happy that llama has become so popular and that gone are the "we need money or it wont it happen" days! but any chance of any extra desks being put in for those late to the party?
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Re: Expansion?

Post by CyberDrac »

We are discussing the situation at the moment and will get back to you soon ...

... in short *pun* there are only as many tables as we use, in fact at the last event the Scouts had borrowed some and it caused some consternation and concern until we recovered them. Another concern is the electrical supply, we suspect that the supply can handle more, but the scarcity of plugs makes providing any more places improbable.

... some members of the community due to special circumstances are considering sharing a space which may free up a seat or possibly two, so watch this space for details, I would heartily recommend checking back regularly and frequently until this is confirmed one way or the other.

edit:

... also note that getting seated together may be an issue and so expect negotiations in order to sit two or more of you together

... I personally would recommend paying as soon as the possibility arises of seats being made available by charitable members of the community, and that contributions to their beer collection may be in order ;), as seats will be allocated based on order of cleared funds received.
TheShortOne
Cria
Cria

Post by TheShortOne »

Well if theres anything extra we can do to help please say! I would be happy to donate to fund some extra desks or could look into acquiring some gear to help out with the power (a couple of enterprise class UPS's would at least mitigate the risk of power spikes and fluctuations even if they can't help out with lowering the overall draw)
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

Thanks for the offer, BTW, how many of you are there likely to be? One, Two, Many, More?
TheShortOne
Cria
Cria

Post by TheShortOne »

There is normally between 2 and 4 of us depending on people getting time off of work.
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

Well to be frank there is one existing place, one probable space, and one possible space, and you aren't the only people who are interested in those spaces, so you need to bear that in mind ... some might have to consider spectating to get the LlamaLAN experience.
Ripper
Weanling
Weanling

Post by Ripper »

hey i think llamalan could do with some expantion, i know it may be a bit late but what about concidering another venue? or maybe using the stage area as more spots for PC's? instead of or move the projector games.

Ripper 0X
D3TH
Herdshire
Herdshire

Post by D3TH »

I would like a expansion.. there must be something that be done :D i am sure the LL admins will get it sorted!!!
Lans Attended: LL9, i33, i34, LL10, i35, i36, LL11

Lans Planning to Attended = i37, LL12

http://www.chris-mccafferty.info

CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

Ripper wrote:hey i think llamalan could do with some expantion, i know it may be a bit late but what about concidering another venue? or maybe using the stage area as more spots for PC's? instead of or move the projector games.
The power on the stage is already being routed through to the main room, whilst there is space on stage, we don't have any more tables at this venue and so we have decided to bring the power to the PCs in the main area rather than split the gaming area and take the PCs to the power. As anyone who has tried to organise an event like this finding a venue is by far the hardest job, finding somewhere which will let you have completely free rein for three days and especially overnight for a reasonable amount of money is incredibly difficult and we've been incredibly lucky to find this venue with off road parking, camping space and open access to a kitchen as well as large enough single room ... trust me when I say that finding this place took long enough and the alternatives weren't even half way to meeting our need.
D3TH wrote:I would like a expansion.. there must be something that be done :D i am sure the LL admins will get it sorted!!!
We would love to expand, but until a venue presents itself with better facilities for similar money then we'll just have to make the best of what we have at the moment. Unfortunately we cannot modify the laws of physics and make the electrical supply draw any more current without risk blown fuses ... we'd rather have a small LAN with electricity instead of a large room full of people and PCs for three days and nothing to power them.
Ripper
Weanling
Weanling

Post by Ripper »

lol ok just an idea ;)

Ripper 0X
Inferno
Cria
Cria

Post by Inferno »

Yea I have been trying to find a venue in southend for the past 2 years on and off and its not easy finding a place with 24hour access and also power requirements and insurance or dont care about insurance

And Ive come close to some but something always makes them unattainable the last one was power.

But Its great news that there is so much demand for LlamaLan
evilgangsta
Yearling
Yearling

Post by evilgangsta »

Yeah from our lan event days we can defo testify to how hard venues are to come by, we could only every get village halls for a reasonable price and they had power issues.

I suppose one option for future events could be see how much it would be to upgrade the power capabilities and see if enough donations can be aquired.
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

OK, folks, we had two major issues preventing expansion, tables and power.

We have solved tables issue ... the venue assures us that there are additional tables (the wooden tables we used last time when the Scouts needed the lighter versions for their camp) and so we can use those.

We have also decided that the power supply should after much measuring and calculating, with careful monitoring, and careful nurturing, support the additional attendees.

You'll will have received a mailer in your e-mail inbox with further information as we speak. :)
Dragon
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by Dragon »

Hopefully this won't mean a ban on consoles?, though as I'll probably be using my laptop rather than desktop for convenience it should be below average even with laptop and 360 running.
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

To be fair, as a general rule we will have to say that, since you cannot play on both simultaneously, as a courtesy to the rest of the LAN it would be advisable to only have switched on what you are playing on at that particular point in time. Other than that point consoles are still very welcome.