Quake 3 Arena for Llamalan 17

April 20th - 22nd 2012
sparton
Blue Squad
Blue Squad

Quake 3 Arena for Llamalan 17

Post by sparton »

This is a post to determine how many people would be interested in a Quake 3 Arena tournament next LAN?

We (raG3) and a few others were playing this weekend just gone and had a blast!

I heard interest from others and wondered on the possibility of a Q3 tournament next lan? Show of hands? :)
I'm on everythaang.
Reb
Cria
Cria

Re: Quake 3 Arena for Llamalan 17

Post by Reb »

Yup! (Hands Up)

Quake is a good lan game! wo0t wo0t
Kanonfodda
Red Squad
Red Squad
Location: Flag Room (Well most of meh, some landed on the ramp though)

Post by Kanonfodda »

I'd also suggest making sure Q3A is in your games list. We use the games list to help us pick which games to run as tournaments. The more Q3A in the list, the more likely we can run it as a big game :)

http://www.llamalan.co.uk/index.php?Sec ... mode=games

:)
If it bleeds, we can fry it :0D
YaZoR
Herdshire
Herdshire

Post by YaZoR »

Well I'm gutted I missed some gaming from my fave game....

I usually have some Q3A servers running when I'm there, and I shall be for LLXVII.

And as Q3A goes, I may have some other servers available......
meh
Golem
Some Git
Some Git

Post by Golem »

I'll definitely be up for Q3A ;) As KF has said, we rely on the game list to help us work out what games are best to field. It would be nice to have a realistic alternative to UT2004 for once ;)
biolord
Cria
Cria

Post by biolord »

ive already got all my games except UT04 and Q3A so ill be getting those b4 and basically im done for games =)
ill definetily be up for it
YaZoR
Herdshire
Herdshire

Post by YaZoR »

C'mon people, sign up, pay up, and slap Q3A in your games list!
meh
Twysta
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Twysta »

I'd be well up for this but just as a matter of opinion think that quake live would be more feasible.
It's basically the same game but instead of people having to acquire a copy of Q3A they can just play the Quake Live through their browser: for free.
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

A valid idea, but Internet connectivity might be an obstacle, it's good, but I wouldn't want to put it to the test with a tournament, also from what I recall Quake Live gives very little control over the server settings unlike the full version. Based on the figures so far Q3A is well represented in th egames list and I suspect that we could easily fill the sixten slots for a double elimination (we could go with 32 but that would be stretching it at a 40 player LAN, but it would be interesting to try).
Kanonfodda
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by Kanonfodda »

Twysta wrote:I'd be well up for this but just as a matter of opinion think that quake live would be more feasible.
It's basically the same game but instead of people having to acquire a copy of Q3A they can just play the Quake Live through their browser: for free.
quakelive is only feasable on a decent internet connection. While the connection we have at LlamaLAN isn't bad, it certainly would not cope with 16+ people playing quakelive all at once! :D

I'm afraid anything internet based is pretty much off the cards as far as LlamaLAN is concerned, hence Q3A rather than quakelive :D
YaZoR
Herdshire
Herdshire

Post by YaZoR »

Twysta wrote:I'd be well up for this but just as a matter of opinion think that quake live would be more feasible.
CyberDrac wrote:A valid idea, but Internet connectivity might be an obstacle, it's good, but I wouldn't want to put it to the test with a tournament, also from what I recall Quake Live gives very little control over the server settings unlike the full version. Based on the figures so far Q3A is well represented in th egames list and I suspect that we could easily fill the sixten slots for a double elimination (we could go with 32 but that would be stretching it at a 40 player LAN, but it would be interesting to try).
This is completely unfeasible as CyberDrac has pointed out for many reasons, the main one being internet connectivity. If this (or the quakelive site) slows, stops, or breaks; a tournament is forfeit. Using Quake III Arena, is far more feasible simply as it relies on nothing but some servers of which have been stable since the last point release (v1.32) in 2005.
Others include very limited server control, etc, etc, and so forth.
It is a shame as I prefer all the new bells and whistles in QuakeLive.

On the server front, I will have some available and running. If you would like any specifics (maps/mod/cvars/etc) post a request in here and if enough are interested I may setup a server for it :wink:
meh
Twysta
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Twysta »

Alright, fair play!
I'll be up for Quake 3 Arena anyway. =]
Kanonfodda
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by Kanonfodda »

Sorry twysta, we all kinda jumped on ya there :D

but yes, lots of Q3A action to be had :D
Twysta
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Twysta »

Nah it's cool =]
I better re-install Q3A then ^.^
Joosebug
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Joosebug »

Hmmm

go go instagib and any other kind of rocket jump or speed maps Yaz?

I'll definately play some Quake 3 Arena but i doubt i'll be a contender xD we'll see :P i much prefer quake cpma but thats just me >.<